Bed and Breakfast accommodation - Northcourt Manor
NorthCourt is very much a family home and will be best
appreciated by those who enjoy a peaceful country atmosphere in a
NorthCourt was built in 1615 by the deputy Governor of the Island, Sir
John Leigh. It represents the largest manor house on the Island, having
been extended by Lord Burgh in 1905 with the addition of a music room.
There is full central heating and in winter, a welcoming log fire.
Accommodation is in a choice of grand but comfortable en-suite bedrooms.
One of the rooms is Lady Gordon's panelled suite, including a sitting
room with a highly decorative plaster ceiling from around 1750 and an
Adam period carved fireplace. All rooms are tastefully decorated and
furnished, and have views out over the fine grounds.
Visitors are encouraged to wander around the extensive gardens and to
use the grass tennis court, below which the Shor Well bubbles into a
crystal clear stream.
The private gardens stretch from the stream to the terraced walks and
contain many exotic and unusual plants, benefiting from the mild winters
and hot, dry summers. There are also distant views of the downs and the